Record Store Day Drops 2020 - Aug 29
'Marvin Pontiac was anonymously sent a 4 track tape recorder during the years he was held at Esmerelda State Mental Institution. This is what he did with it.' This was the sole statement accompanying the release of Marvin Pontiac: The Asylum Tapes, the first release in 17 years by John Lurie's alter ego Marvin Pontiac. Coming to prominence during the no wave era as part of NYC's notorious Lounge Lizards and starring in Jim Jarmusch's film Down By Law, Lurie's quirky compositions under the Pontiac pseudonym have developed a legendary reputation among fans and critics alike. Though Asylum Tapes was initially shared with the world in 2017, Northern Spy is proud to bring it to the vinyl medium for the first time in 2020.
1. Unbelievable 2. I Hope She Is Okay 3. My Bear to Cross 4. Hollerin' 5. I Don't Have a Cow 6. It's Always Something. It's 7. Never Nothing 8. We Are the Frog People 9. Let Me Tell You 10. I Am a Man 11. I Don't Like To Stand On Line 12. Baby Pigs 13. You're Going to Miss Me 14. I Want To Get Out of Here 15. Beastliness 16. I Am Not Crazy 17. Temple of Banjos 18. Santa Claus 19. Godzilla 20. Don't Fuck With Me 21. My Little Garden Gnome 22. Horse Fell Down The Well 23. I Like To Wear Funny Outfits 24. Little Banjo 25. I Am Not Alone
Refused's Maida Vale in-studio session for BBC Radio 1's 'Rock Show With Daniel P Carter', pressed on crystal clear vinyl, exclusively for Record Store Day 2020. Includes track "Economy Of Death", available for the first time here.
SIDE A –
1. REV001 2. Malfire 3. I Wanna Watch The World Burn
SIDE B –
1. It’s Not Okay / Rather Be Dead 2. Economy Of Death
The final piece of the Roxy Music revolutionary debut album celebration and with the full blessing of the band, Steven Wilson’s stereo mix of the epochal work will see the light of day for the first time, available as a Record Store Day exclusive. Limited edition LP pressed on 180g, clear vinyl. Mastered by Frank Arkwright at Abbey Road.
SIDE A –
1. Re-Make/Re-Model, 2. Ladytron, 3. If There Is Something, 4. Virginia plain, 5. 2 H.B.
SIDE B –
1. The bob (Medley), 2. Chance Meeting, 3. Would You Believe?, 4. Sea Breezes, 5. Bitters End
Sunbeam Records presents the first official reissue of Don Shinn's Temples With Prophets, originally released in 1969. Having made several classic 45s with The Soul Agents (whose singer was briefly Rod Stewart), Don Shinn taped his remarkable debut album in London's Lansdowne Studios in December 1967. Featuring his explosive organ (a clear influence on the young Keith Emerson) and outstanding guitar from Paul Hodgeson, it's one of the first progressive albums ever recorded. This is its first official reissue, fifty years after its original release, complete with detailed background notes, rare images, and two jaw-dropping bonus tracks from 1966 on an additional 7
"Don Shinn got a fantastic sound from the L-100... He and Jimi Hendrix were controlling influences over the way I developed..." --Keith Emerson
A1. “Pits Of Darkness” A2. “Temples with Prophets, introducing; Monophonic Intrerlude for Pianoforte No. 1”
B1. “A Minor Explosion” B2. “The Jolly Dance” B3. “Hearts of Gladness, introducing; Monophonic Interlude for Pianoforte No. 2”
7": A1. “A-Minor Explosion” B1. “Pits Of Darkness”
This Record Store Day, Sam Smith and Disclosure's cover/remix of Donna Summer's smash hit "I Feel Love" will be available on an exclusive picture disc LP. This will be the first time the track is available in physical format.
SIDE A “I Feel Love”
SIDE B “I Feel Love (Extended)”
Bass legend Mike Watt has a resume that is hard to top, with credits including the Minutemen, fIREHOSE, and the Stooges, among many others. Raymond Pettibon is an award-winning visual artist and one of the most prominent cover artists around. Together they are Sock-Tight, a band from the past for the future. Two friends with different working and communication patterns, united in the belief that culture and art are meant to be a social act and in the hands of all people. Sock-Tight's first full length album is due out for Record Store Day 2020. The jacket, which features artwork from Raymon Pettibon, is reason enough to pick up a copy.
Vinyl: $17.99 Buy
2020 marks the 40th anniversary of two releases from psychedelic icons The Soft Boys, their Near The Soft Boys EP and the single for their biggest hit "I Wanna Destroy You. To commemorate these releases, Yep Roc will be reissuing these ultra-rare releases as a limited edition gatefold double 45. Both titles have never been reissued and fetch tidy sums in collector's circles. "I Wanna Destroy You" has become an anthem in today's political climate and features the rare disco version of "I'm an Old Pervert" on it's b-side. Near The Soft Boys features two Hitchock-penned originals - "Kingdom of Love" and "Strange" - as well as a cover of Syd Barrett's "Vegetable Man".
I Wanna Destroy You: SIDE A: I Wanna Destroy You SIDE B: I'm an Old Pervert (Disco) Near the
Soft Boys: SIDE A: Kingdom of Love SIDE B: 1. Vegetable Man 2. Strange
All the Weird Kids Up Front (Más Rolas Chidas) is a fan-selected companion piece to Everything Hits At Once: The Best of Spoon. With a tracklist submitted by and voted on by fans, it features deep cuts from the Austin, TX band's 25-year history.
1. The Fitted Shirt 2. Don't Make Me a Target 3. The Beast and Dragon, Adored 4. Is Love Forever? 5. I Summon You 6. Out Go the Lights 7. Who Makes Your Money 8. The Ghost of You Lingers 9. Paper Tiger 10. WhisperI'lllistentohearit 11. Tear It Down 12. New York Kiss
7" single of Cat Stevens’ song “But I Might Die Tonight”, from the album Tea For The Tillerman. The B-side features the alternative version of the song, from the movie Deep End (starring Jane Asher), reworked specifically for the film and previously unavailable until now! Pressed on light blue vinyl.
SIDE A – 1. But I Might Die Tonight (Movie Version)
SIDE B – 1. But I Might Die Tonight (Remastered 2020)
For the 10 year anniversary of their debut album, Astro Coast, Surfer Blood celebrate with a Record Store Day exclusive double vinyl edition complete with an entire second LP of new material. Limited to 2000 worldwide.
A1. “Floating Vibes” A2. “Swim” A3. “Take It Easy” A4. “Harmonix” A5. “Neighbour Riffs”
B1. “Twin Peaks” B2. “Fast Jabroni” B3. “Slow Jabroni” B4. “Anchorage” B5. “Catholic Pagans”
C1. “Floating Vibes (Twin Shadow Remix)” C2. “Swim (Allen Blickle Remix)” C3. “Take It Easy (Drop the Lime Remix)” C4. “Twin Peaks (Golden Ages Remix)”
D1. “Swim (Demo)” D2. “Can't Stop Believing” D3. “You're A Friend” D4. “Territorial Pissings”
Fuktronic is the brainchild of Jimmy Urine (Mindless Self Indulgence) and Serj Tankian (System Of A Down), who’ve made the ultimate electronic soundtrack for a one of a kind British gangster film. Urine said about the project: “Our dynamic is very chill, which is why we do this kind of stuff, especially because, with Fuktronic, it's electronic type soundtrack music, which we've both been doing a lot of on our own. Fuktronic is a 12-track journey; four instrumentals and eight tracks featuring original scripted and voice-acted dialogue that chronicle the trials and tribulations of a fresh-out-of-prison British gangster who hasn’t learned his lesson.”
Available as a limited edition of 2,500 individually numbered copies on blue marbled (solid blue, white & black mixed) vinyl.
1. Chase 2. Parole 3. Shot 4. Frenchy 5. Guns 6. Ladies
7. Kit Kat Klub 8. Russian 9. TTFO 10. Flight 11. Fail 12. Credits
A collection of singles and compilation tracks from queercore legends Team Dresch released between 1994 and 2000. Includes early hit's like "Hand Grenade" and later anthems like "It's A Conversation". Will be pressed on pink vinyl and the vinyl edition will be exclusive to RSD 2020.
1. My Voice 2. Hand Grenade 3. Endtime Relay 4. Molasses In January 5. Seven 6. Fake Fight 7. Song For Anne Bannon 8. What Can A Lover Do? 9. It's A Conversation 10. Deattached 11. Venus Lacy 12. Temporary Insurance
Originally released in 1984, Pop is the only studio album from Tones On Tail, a side project of Bauhaus members Daniel Ash and Kevin Haskins along with Glenn Campling. It's been out of print since the original pressing. This edition has revised artwork with silver foil text on the cover. The audio was cut from the original analog master.
SIDE A: 1. “Lions” 2. “War” 3. “Happiness” 4. “The Never Never (Is Forever)” 5. “Performance” SIDE B: 1. “Slender Fungus” 2. “Movement of Fear” 3. “Real Life” 4. “Rain”
Exclusively for RSD, four of Twiztid's newest works now available on coke bottle green vinyl! This limited edition release includes a brand new track, "All These Problems" that has never been heard before. This will be a highly sought-after piece by Twiztid fans everywhere.
SIDE A –
1. All These Problems, 2. My Bible (ft. Young Wicked & Stevie Stone)
SIDE B –
1. F Feelings, 2. 4get U (ft. Young Wicked & Ekoh)
“11 O’Clock Tick Tock” was recorded with producer Martin Hannett in Dublin’s Windmill Lane Studios and originally released in May 1980. The song was U2’s first single on Island Records. This 40th anniversary limited edition LP includes the original track and the 7” b-side version of ‘Touch’, plus two previously unreleased live recordings from the band’s September 1980 show at the London Marquee. Pressed on 180-gram, transparent blue vinyl. Gatefold sleeve packaging, with photo gallery on inner gatefold.
SIDE A –
1. 11 O’Clock Tick Tock (Long Version) 2. Touch (Remaster)
SIDE B –
1. Touch (Live at the Marquee, London, 1980) 2. Twilight (Live at the Marquee, London, 1980)
A rare Nils Frahm rework, with brand new custom compositions by Isobel Waller-Bridge & Federico Albanese. This Record Store Day exclusive vinyl includes beautiful contributions from Josin & Sophie Hutchings and, of course, music from MKX mainstays Ólafur Arnalds, Keaton Henson, GRAMMY-nominated Sebastian Plano, Lambert, Anatole, Luke Howard and Guy Sigworth!
SIDE A –
1. For Now I Am Winter [Nils Frahm Rework] - Ólafur Arnalds, 2. Petrichor – Keaton Henson, 3. In The Blank Space (New York Recordings) – Josin, 4. The Lantern – Federico Albanese, 5. Light Ascending [ft. Shards] – Luke Howard, 6. A Small Kind of Revival – Sophie Hutchings
SIDE B –
1. Le lac - Jean-Michel Blais, 2. Porcelain – Lambert, 3. Particles (ft. Nanna Bryndís) - Ólafur Arnalds, 4. Nirai Kanai - Guy Sigsworth, 5. Éxta – Sebastian Plano, 6. No Ritual – Anatole, 7. TBC – Isobel Waller-Bridge.
Vinyl: $29.99 Buy
This double LP compilation features alternative '60s hits and rarities from the catalog of Los Angeles' great lost White Whale label, including such artists as Jim Ford, JK & Co, The Clique, Nino Tempo & April Stevens, Lyme & Cybelle and more. Two standard weight black vinyl LPs in a gatefold.
LP1 / SIDE A
1. You Got The Love, 2. I’ll Be In, 3. Got A Good Love, 4. Little Girl, Little Boy, 5. We Must Find A Way, 6. Darlin’ You Can Count On Me
LP1 / SIDE B –
1. I Can’t Get Nowhere With You, 2. Song #7, 3. Vegetables, 4. The Chair, 5. Goin’ It Alone, 6. Sunshine Dreamin’, 7. Land Of Sensations & Delights
LP2 / SIDE A –
1. Superman, 2. Look At You Now, 3. All At Once, 4. Time To Be A Woman, 5. Love Story, 6. If It Weren’t For You, 7. Summer Dream
LP2 / SIDE B –
1. Cheyenne, 2. My Door Is Always Open, 3. Constantly, 4. The Proud One, 5. Won’t You Say You’ll Stay, 6. In The Garden
Originally released as an EP in March 1982, Ben Watt's collaboration with Robert Wyatt is a critically acclaimed Cherry Red classic that has not been available on vinyl for over thirty years.
Remastered at Abbey Road Studios and reissued for Record Store Day 2020, it comes printed on reverse board and is pressed on turquoise transparent vinyl. This exclusive Record Store Day reissue is released with the full endorsement of Ben Watt and follows his brand new album Storm Damage, released in January, into record stores.
1. WALTER AND JOHN 2. AQUAMARINE
1. SLIPPING SLOWLY 2. ANOTHER CONVERSATION WITH MYSELF 3. A GIRL IN WINTER
MP3 Album: $5.99 Download
The Weeknd's No. 1 album My Dear Melancholy, available for the first time ever on vinyl. The six songs from this project, including the hit single "Call Out My Name" are featured on Side A of the 180-gram vinyl. Side B features an etched design to make this record a true collector's item.
1. Call Out My Name 2.Try Me 3. Wasted Times 4. I Was Never There 5. Hurt You 6. Privilege
One of the very first ‘rarities’ collections, released to try and defeat the bootleggers, the original 11-track album was released in 1974. Compiled by bassist John Entwistle, the set features the single “Long Live Rock”, the unedited, unreleased version of “The Seeker”, the studio version of “Young Man Blues”, alternative versions of “Dogs Part Two” and “Water”, amongst many other gems. This reissue includes the original album on disc one and adds 14 bonus tracks – B-sides, rarities & extras on disc two, ‘Odds & Sods Too’ – to create a definitive, 25-track double LP. Pressed on red (LP1) and yellow (LP2) vinyl. Includes Pete Townshend’s original track annotation.
The stunning artwork and design restore the original ‘die-cut’ front sleeve. Graham Hughes shot the cover for Odds and Sods – “I’d stayed up the night before with Letterset, designing the letters on the American football helmets with each of the band’s names printed on. When I finally managed to get them together in one place, which happened to be the bathroom, Pete and Roger’s helmets didn’t quite fit so that’s why their wearing each other’s. That Quadrophenia tour wasn’t very pleasant and the band were arguing a lot. When I showed Pete the blow-up of the cover, he didn’t like it and told me so. I was so frustrated by this time, I started ripping it up . . . That’s when he decided he liked it! I stuck it back together with adhesive tape and Roger said, ‘call it a bunch of odds and sods.”
LP1 / SIDE A –
1. Postcard, 2. Now I'm A Farmer, 3. Put The Money Down, 4. Little Billy, 5. Too Much Of Anything, 6. Glow Girl
LP1 / SIDE B –
1. Pure And Easy, 2. Faith In Something Bigger, 3. I'm The Face, 4. Naked Eye, 5. Long Live Rock
LP2 / SIDE A –
1. Zoot Suit (remix with fade), 2. Here Tis (only previously released on 30 Years… box set), 3. Leaving Here (from ‘Pye’ acetate), 4. Baby Don’t You Do It (from ‘Pye’ acetate), 5. Young Man Blues (alternate studio version, included on 1998 CD), 6. Dogs Part Two (B-side, the single mix; included on Tommy SDE), 7. Here For More (B-side single mix), 8. The Seeker (long unedited version; unreleased)
LP2 / SIDE B –
1. Heaven And Hell (B-side single mix), 2. Don’t Know Myself (B-side single mix), 3. When I Was A Boy (B-side single mix), 4. Waspman (B-side single mix), 5. We Close Tonight (included on 1998 CD), 6. Water (B-side single mix
This one will be a real surprise for both Wolfgang Press and 4AD fans. Featuring never before heard tracks, Unremembered, Remembered is essentially the final never-released album from The Wolfgang Press. Having exhumed the tracks, the band have mastered their final studio sessions at Abbey Road and they sound magnificent. Art for this release has been done by long-time 4AD collaborator Chris Bigg and it will be available on limited edition red vinyl.
SIDE A: 1. “You Say You Love Me (demo)” 2. “God, Let If Shine On (demo)” 3. “My Mother Told Me (demo)”
SIDE B: 1. “Black Hole Star (demo)” 2. “Liar (demo)” 3. “Miss H.I.V. (demo)”